476x238bloombannerV1

zfinderADforBLOOMV3

Here I am in San Francisco at the latest Re:Frame event. I have the new Panasonic Lumix GF1 to play with but I have been mostly shooting with my 7d and 5dmkII…BUT mostly in stills mode. I have done a 36 hour timelapse on my 7D and I have also documented the event, again mostly in stills.

Now the shutter life of the 7D is around 150,000 shots. In the past 4 days I have shot around 16,000 photos. So do be careful and don’t make lots of films the same way as I have done as it will you camera eventually. Those shots will add up! Although if you do this you can get if fixed, it’s not throw away camera time!

There are some very talented people in this film. Scott Bourne, Joe Simon, Karen Abad, Kevin Shahinian, Bruce Patterson, Jason Magbanua, Kristen* and LOADS MORE!! Do mention in comments who else you spot!!

jon

Jon Connor

Scott Bourne

Scott Bourne

7D and 5dmkII photo movie: Re:Frame SF 09 from Philip Bloom on Vimeo.

Shot entirely in JPEG stills and edited in Final Cut Pro.

Contains around 5600 still shots.

Shot on various lenses including Tokina 11-16 f2.8 and Canon 50mm F1.2

Shot at the RE:Frame Conference in San Francisco in October 2009

Comments

1. Well that’s one way to get AF in video mode I suppose :)

Great stuff Philip. Particularly like the lucky-lucky bit. Was it all shot at 10fps, full res?

2. Tim Sarquis says:

LOVED it!! Looked like Re:Frame was the event of the year! Sorry I missed it…..darn day job……

3. Joey Mathews says:

Dude! That was AWESOME! I hated to miss Re:Frame and now I’m really hating myself. Pure GENIUS!
    Joey

4. Love the reverse stuff. Looks like a fun time, shame you were stuck behind the camera so much!

And what was up with that old handset connected to an iPhone, was that a cord or bluetooth? Wacky! But probably easier to keep on the shoulder than the thin slab of an iPhone. And, if it’s wired, no bluetooth batteries to wear out!

5. Kyle Balne says:

Phil, does the 150,000 shot shutter life apply to video too?

no stills only

2. Adam Kozlowski says:

I believe that if you shoot continuously and very often like that, the actual shutter life can go way over 150.000. I have a 1Ds Mark II which had shutter life of 200.000 but i’m at 400.000 and it still goes like crazy, because it is used regularly ;) All machines fail when they are used irregularly! :)

1. mOki says:

cool..

i wish it would..

i got quite worried when i found out about the 7d’s shutter life..

it kinda made me doubt purchasing it.. oh well..:D

6. [...] Visit link: Short film of RE:Frame San Francisco made up entirely of stills [...]

7. Dale Kamp says:

My oh my.

News of a 24p firmware for 5D MkII and suddenly you’re abusing your poor 7D! Tsk tsk tsk Mr. Bloom.

I liked it — must’ve been a fun headache to edit. :)

8. Reminds me of an episode of American Chopper where Michael Teutul shot a film starring the dudes in the workshop.

9. Peter Prevec says:

Scott Bourne screaming Lucky, Lucky was great.

10. Adam Kozlowski says:

Hahahaha… This one reeeeeaaaallly made my day. Thanks so much :) I needed something energetic and inspiring for early gloomy morning here in Lodz, Poland.

11. Olipool says:

As always great choice of music!

12. Cool, just loved it. :)

13. Rob Imbs says:

Very cool, looks like alot of work. That picture of Scott Bourne is insane! Way to shoot to edit with the “lucky, lucky”.

14. so what do you guys think of my dance moves? lol

15. derekhillier says:

I think live view mode for time lapse, its only the mirror flying about that really damages the camera.

Deek

16. Greg says:

I did a similar project this past summer with a 5D:

17. Andrew Howe says:

Absolutely brilliant. Must have been an epic editing job, but worth every minute. At what point did you decide which music you were going to use?

thanks mate. decided on music half way through hence i got them to say lucky lucky!

18. mataikan says:

another film shot entirely shot with stills, done when the 1dmark3 and 1dsmark2 first came out a fews years ago. final output – 2k with 10bit color

sorry for shamelessly self pimping my work. Please feedback on what you think.
    thanks

19. That looks like a hell of a lot of fun!

maybe one of these days I’ll make it down from the great white north to go to a Re:Frame event :)

20. druidavey says:

Nice. Yanks are bonkers and they know how to have a good time!

21. [...] something’, I went out and shot something yesterday. I was inspired by Philip Bloom’s blog post where he made a short film out of stills. Using my Canon 5D Mark II, with the camera set to manual, [...]

22. scamper says:

WOW!
    Always something different…

23. ZJ says:

Hi Phillip,

any tips on how to do a reverse timelapse?

After watching your videos I kind of had a thought process, but somehow I hit a dead end.

I use Automator to resize my photos and then into Quicktime Pro for image sequencing.

Here’s the problem:

Since Quicktime Pro processes the sequence based on the numbering of the file, is there a system or program that renames files automatically like in Automator, or do you manually do the sequencing in FCP?

Thank in advance! Hope everyone else can chip in to help me too!

24. claud says:

Hey Phil,

Which memory stick do you recommend for the 7D?

Happy Holidays

Claud

not memory stick. Use Compact flash cards of 30mb/s or 133x for video. Faster if you plan on taking lots of RAW stills