sigma 50 mm 1.4 or canon 50 mm 1.4 or zeiss 50 mm 1.4

Discussion in 'Lenses' started by herssha patil, Mar 12, 2012.

1. herssha patil Chatty!

i am getin confused between these three lens
    1.sigma 50 mm 1.4
    2.canon 50 mm 1.4
    3.zeiss 50 mm 1.4

i basically want a 50 mm for my canon 7d for video setup

according to me below r the pro and cons for these lens and no lens is best in this price range for video purpose

pros
    1.the sigma 50 mm 1.4 is strongly built with 77 mm filter thread and 9 diphragm blade and fixed front focal eliment
    2.canon 50 mm 1.4 for its brand and max aperture 22
    3.zeiss 50 mm 1.4 planar for its very strong built (all metal parts) and smooth focus ring and 9 diaphragm blade

cons
    1.sigma 50 mm 1.4 , brand not so good as canon and zeiss
    2.canon 50 mm 1.4 front focus element comes out when focusing as a result creates sound and more prone for dust to get inside
    3.zeiss 50 mm 1.4 for is limited f stop range ie from f 16 the next stop is f 11 (1/2 stop) so less choice for exposure control for video, it is made in japan by contax and its a manual lens

which lens among 3 is best in terms of overall sharpness , bokeh,image quality, flexibility, smooth focus ring and long life for hdslr video ?
  2. Matthew Duclos Not quite so new!

Herssha,

I would go with the Zeiss. Optically, it's not the best Zeiss lens and will probably be slightly less of a performer than the Canon, but the mechanical quality that the Zeiss will provide will serve you far better and longer than the Canon or Sigma. You can also go with the ZF version of the 50mm f/1.4 and use a Nikon to Canon adapter and de-click the aperture, that way you have ultimate aperture control with no gaps.
    herssha patil likes this.
  3. herssha patil Chatty!

even i want to go with the zeiss 50 mm 1.4 ze (canon adaptor)but only problem is the 1/2 stop aperture it wil be dificult to control the exposure since i wont increase the shutter speed above 1/60 sec for video.and is zeiss 50 mm 1.4 optically beter than canon 50 mm 1.4 and sigma?
  4. Matthew Duclos Not quite so new!

That's where the de-clicking comes into play. If you have the clicks removed from the aperture, you can choose any increment you want between stops manually. http://philipbloom.net/2012/01/26/declick/
    As I said above, the sharpness isn't the best wide-open, the Canon will probably be (very) slightly sharper.
  5. herssha patil Chatty!

thanks a lot matthew u jus introduced me a new concept of de-clicking.Since im a non- film school learner its pretty hard to learn film making
    is there ne potential damage if i remove the clicks?but only nikon mount i.e zf alows manual iris not the ze i.e canon mount and also wil i able to meter the exposure with different metering modes of the camera?
    but on internet i found tat even sigma 50 mm 1.4 is a gud lens?what u think about sigma coz iv used canons and l series are the best but i duno abt sigma?
  6. Mike LaRose Chatty!

When shooting with a lens of that aperture you should be using a ND filter to help get proper exposure. Obviously you will want to shoot with it fully open sometimes to take advantage of the high depth of field, this lets in more light and during daylight can completely wash out your scene in ridiculous brightness. That is where an ND filter comes into play, a Variable ND filter that you can attach and then dial in the darkness of the filter until your exposure is just right.

http://philipbloom.net/2009/07/22/loving-the-fader-nd-and-singh-ray-vari-nd-life-savers/
    http://www.amazon.com/77mm-Fader-ND-Mark-II/dp/B003RDF2MS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331768571&sr=8-1
    herssha patil likes this.
  7. herssha patil Chatty!

are photography nd filter suited for video?will the hoya nd-8(75$) filter give beter results for video?or which variable nd is better:
    1.singh ray
    OR
    2.fader nd
    cost of lens 600$ plus variable nd 400$ total approx 1000$:eek:
    or instead of tat shud i invest in the 50 mm 1.2 L
  8. Mike LaRose Chatty!

9. Mike LaRose Chatty!

You know that a 50mm lens on your 7D is going to equate to a 80mm crop right? If you want something more true to a 50mm crop then get a 30-35 mm sized lens. I would personally recommend the Samyang (also known as Rokinon or Bower) 35mm 1.4. You can get the BOWER branded version on Amazon for $434.00 here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QXUKHK?ie=UTF8&seller=A2W3V80PYFHQRP&sn=Super Value Plus

This is what you're getting (REVIEW HERE) http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/samyang/35mm-f14.htm

It's also known as the Rokinon brand which is about $500 on BHPhoto. BHPhoto did have the Bower version listed for $449 last week but just checking now they changed it to $519.
  10. Mike LaRose Chatty!

I own a 50mm 1.7 Contax Carl Zeiss Planar T* for my Canon 60D and it's a great looking lens with good control but like I said, it crops to 80mm or so which makes it a close up lens. I'd rather have something in the 50mm range so I am planning to get the Bower 35mm 1.4 soon.
  11. John Bauer Not quite so new!

The Sigma is superb for photo uses (better than the canon!) but the Zeiss might be better for video uses (smother focus ring, manual aperture, no focus beyond infinity...)