600D but what else?

Discussion in 'Canon DSLRs' started by Chris Watts, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Chris Watts Chatty!

I've been shooting video on DSLR for a year or so now and have learnt a lot, however I have basically just been shooting on what I had lens wise, after success shooting with my 550D on a project at work our video department is now looking at adding a DSLR to our kit bag.
    We are pretty set on using a 600D as the body but choosing lenses etc is the tricky bit.
    Mostly it will be used to shoot documentary projects and interviews.

What lenses do you have and or recommend. Been thinking about Canon 28mm f1.8, Tamron 24-70mm f2.8?
  2. Josh Waldroup Not quite so new!

Personally, I use a 50mm more than any other lens.
  3. Travis Fish I'm new!

Hey Chris! I use the 60d and have the Canon 28mm f1.8 and love it. Its a great lens. Although I have recently fallen in love with the Canon 16-35mm f2.8L. It's a much more expensive alternative, but its beautiful. If you're looking for nice lenses for cheap, I would try the Rokinon 85mm f1.4. I love the lens. For just under $300, its worth every penny. Hope that helps!
  4. david hobson Chatty!

5. david hobson Chatty!

I think they do a 50mm 1.4 and an 85mm 1.4 too
  6. Colin Trevor Chatty!

Some of you might laugh, but if you can look beyond the plastic housing... the Canon EF 50mm F1.8 "Nifty Fifty" is one heck of a lens for the dollar. Crazy depth of field, fast glass and sharp images. Video results as compared to the more expensive Canon 50mm F1.4 are virtually the same...

I grabbed mine from B&H for $99.00 USD and it's on my T2i almost permanently lol
  7. Kieran Morris I'm new!

Hi Chris,

If you're working exclusively with an APS-C sensor like the 600D's, then I would certainly recommend taking a look at the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8. It costs a little more than the options mentioned above, but it offers great flexibility - its 17mm is markedly wider than the Tamron's 24mm - and is almost permanently attached to our 7D!
  8. Artur Kurkowiak I'm new!

Same here, the only issue is the VERY narrow focus ring.
  9. Peter Waiting Not quite so new!

You could also look for the insanely good Pentax SMC 50mm that can be picked up for insanely cheap prices on the web. An old pentax but with a focus confirm fotodiox adaptor you get a top quality manual lens thats build quality is far beyond the canon Nifty Fifty.
    http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/120854373815?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
    The above is just so you can see what it looks like. Find one and you should get it, it's my current "make stuff look sexy lens for little money!"

You can't go wrong by spending money though and there are some great suggestions above.
  10. Michael Tighe Chatty!

I highly recommend the Sigma OS 17-50 F2.8. Great lens at a much lower price than the Canon equivalent. Check the reviews, it holds it's own against the Canon 17-55 F2.8 quite well. Been shooting with it for a while, no complaints. As for the Canon primes mentioned... might want to wait around a bit and check out the newly announced 24mm and 28mm f2.8 primes... they might be a little slower, but they have IS, which I find indispensable for video work. That said, the 50mm 1.8 is so cheap that it's almost a no-brainer to have one in your kit.
  11. Michele Mangiapane Not quite so new!

if you can, prime ones. :)

Even if not stabilized, and really "humble", I shot really impressive footage with canon 50mm 1,8. (about 110€)
  12. Jesse Woods I'm new!

I highly recommend Zeiss primes. I own both the Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 and the Canon 28mm f/1.8 and shoot on a Canon 600D. I bought the Canon 28mm because it was cheap and I needed a wide lens quick for a project. After using Zeiss lenses and feeling the solidness and hard stops you really think anything else sucks. You do spend a bit more for the Zeiss lenses but you won't be sorry. That's if your budget allows it. Otherwise the 28mm is a good lens and will do a good job and give you a good looking picture.
  13. I've got a 600d and I shoot with the 50mm 1.8 from canon and with the samyang 35mm 1.4. Those are two really good prime lenses for the 600d and I highly recommend them. The 35mm is one awesome lens, its fully manual, has a nice focus ring and the image quality is lovely! Definetely worth a look!
  14. Tommy Wilson I'm new!

I've got to agree with Colin, I picked up the nifty fifty for £65 second hand from Harrison Camera in Sheffield, with a 12 month warranty too.
    Best piece of kit you can get for under £100, for those shallow depth of field shots that are just perfect for doc style interviews.
  15. Simon Froud I'm new!

------

Hey Everyone, Hey Chris.

Starting out I would seriously think about the 3 below:

Tokina 11-16mm 2.8
    Sigma 30mm 1.4
    Canon 50mm 1.4 (If you can budget for the 1.4 instead of the 1.8 THEN DO IT, it will pay off!)

Also if your think about the 28mm Canon the other day released a new 28mm and new 24mm (non L series) they look awesome.

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Pro...ses/Wide_Angle/EF_24mm_f2.8_IS_USM/index.aspx

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Pro...ses/Wide_Angle/EF_28mm_f2.8_IS_USM/index.aspx

Hope it helps

Simon.
  16. Chris Watts Chatty!

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. This is really helpful and this forum is looking like a great place to get answers.
    I have the 50mm f1.8 lens many of you recommend for my own 550D and whilst I do love it and for the price it was great, I don't find it particularly flexible on the crop sensor. Thanks Travis that 20mm f1.8 lens does look great so it's good to here good things about it, also the fact it's not APSC camera limited makes it a logical choice over the Sigma 30mm which I own my personal kit.
    16-35mm f2.8L also sounds like a good tool. Zeiss primes are currently out of our budget. Samyangs look interesting too but might not be so flexible for the times we might use the camera for stills.
  17. Tim Fok Administrator

Your lens arsenal would very much depend on what type of stuff you shoot.

What type of work do you primarily do?
  18. Chris Watts Chatty!

Hi Tim, as I mentioned in my original post mostly shooting documentary style work, in East Asia. This camera is to accompany the Canon XF300 which is our main camera in.
  19. Tim Fok Administrator

Apologies! I must have missed the bottom line.

For documentary style stuff, I'd be looking at a zoom for primary. On a cropped body your best bet would be the Canon 24-70mm L.
    IMO EF-S zooms (Tamron 17-50mm, sigma 18-55mm) don't cut it for video, the focus throws are too short.
    Accompany the 24-70mm with a wide-angle to compensate for wide end, Tokina 11-16mm is prime for this.
    I'd also get a fast prime for any lowlight stuff (take you're pick, I went with the Zeiss Contax 50mm f/1.7), and a tele zoom.
    In regards to the zoom, get whatever canon 70-200mm you can stretch to. You can get the f/2.8 IS mkI for a decent price.
  20. Gerben Schmidt Chatty!

For documentary stuff, I use the Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS a lot. It's really worth the extra money compared to the alternatives. That one, and a 50mm or 28mm prime, and you can handle almost any situation.