Photo by James Miller

It’s 0411 and I really should be asleep. But I just wanted to publish these photos and let everyone who came down to the first ever London DSLR timelapse meet up that we held under the railway bridge on the South Bank as it was raining. Because we were all huddled under the bridge I have named it the “hobo DSLR meet up”!

It was re-scheduled after terrible rain last week and today was not much better but we pressed on and found a dry spot. Over 100 people turned up which was terrific and I showed as many people who asked how to do timelapse and specifically how to do HDR timelapse.

Security did turn up and they didn’t know what to do with us! They can cope just fine with 1 or 2 people to move on but a flash mob of 100 people with tripods left them a bit out of their depth! I spoke to them and said we were not here professionally just for fun. Security guy said he was concerned about all the “stands” and then kind of disappeared!

If you came along post your footage in this vimeo group then I will embed it here!

Here on flickr are the photos of some of people who came along, I didn’t get a chance to shoot everyone, using my lovely Fuji X100 and below that is a still frame from my HDR tone mapped timelapse using my Nikon D3S and Sigma 14mm!

You can see the slideshow photos bigger on my Flickr page and also download them there too!

Error fetching Flickr photos: A feed could not be found at http://api.flickr.com/services/rest/?method=flickr.photos.search&lang=en-us&format=feed-rss_200&api_key=8ab6f1c1115d13afb4138221d5bb0733&user_id=31137909@N06&sort=date-taken-asc&tags=hobo&per_page=50. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.

Created with flickr slideshow from softsea.
Photos by Pete Smith

Here are some of the results!!

London HDR Timelapse from Phil Arntz on Vimeo.

Comments

1. Pete Smith says:

Just uploaded some of mine! http://www.flickr.com/photos/ptchaw/sets/72157626722340657/

Thanks for organising, met some great people :)

2. This is slightly related to this event, but is it likely in the near future that you will be/consider doing a similar event in Richmond Park? I would really like to do a timelapse overlooking the Thames from Petersham, and unfortunately I missed out on yesterday evenings gathering.

3. nate parker says:

oh Philip, haven’t you heard: hdr timelapse is soooo 1980′s! just kiddin, wicked good stuff bub!

4. Chris says:

Thanks again for last night, it was great to meet you and so many other DSLR users.
    I will try and begin my edit today!
    Here’s a link to the saffron gin I mentioned as we were leaving the bar,

Chris

5. Garip Aksut says:

Hi Philip. It is me – that baldy looking bloke on the top picture. I have more hair than that – have you airbrushed it?! Thank you very much for showing me how to do HDR timelapse. I found your advice exceptionally helpful and pertinent. I am a software designer/developer. Let me know if I can return the favour. Cheers.

6. Thanks for sharing your timelapse knowledge Philip. I certainly appreciated your insight.

7. pepe says:

Nice event, Philip could some day can you do a small tutorial on how to set a camera to do a day to night timelapse for all the people that can’t go to your meetings. your folowers will apreciate that.

8. Tom says:

Awesome meetup. I’m curious about the gentlemen controlling the camera with a Nintendo DS.

1. Wolfgang says:

Hey Tom,
      The Ninteno DS owner ,that was me. Have a look here for loads of info on the project:
      I’m pretty busy atm, but I’ll post the footage as soon as I have time!
      Philip, good meetup, it was such a laugh despite the weather!

2. Chris says:

Hi Tom,
      I didn’t see anyone using a DS but I have read about the ability to use one to control cameras.

9. matt carkeek says:

Hi.
    Looked like a good turnout.
    Could anyone comment on the choice of intervalometers out there?
    I’ve been looking at either the Canon TC80N3 or the Pearstone Wireless Shutterboss…
    Any advice from anyone??

get a nice cheap one from amazon!!

10. Vic says:

Many thanks Philip for the day, even if it was a wet one. Nice that you enjoy your X100, which I enjoy bringing with me each time I go out.

Glad to meet you guys. Hope to see you again!

11. Javi says:

Nice portraits you got there!

12. Tim Bearder says:

Brilliant little event thanks for setting it up Philip and taking the time to teach us something new. Here is the short little film I made, jolts and all.

I haven’t even properly registered the software yet but I certainly will in the future – really pleased I came and met some inspiring film makers.

13. Thanks for all the help Philip. Sorry if i became a little irritating with ridiculous questions (i’ll blame that on the BFI pints!). I have successfully mastered key framing (ken burns) though so thank you and cheers for showing me HDR and how to do it. I hope you do another meet up in London soon..

Cheers