This was shot for the Vimeo Video School. It is really basic basics for the total newbie. It keeps in nice and simple for the people who don’t know anything. For more in depth education check further tutorials on the education section of my website or get one of the excellent F-Stop Academy Training videos linked below!

DSLR Lenses from Vimeo Staff on Vimeo.

For more advanced learning check out one of mine, Dan Chung’s or Drew Gardner’s training videos from F-Stop Academy and do check out the lenses section in the education part of my website

Comments

1. Lee Evans says:

Chemistry !!

2. Ralph says:

great videos Philip, thank you,

I was wondering what camera and lenses this video series was shot on?

Its a beautiful quality

Many thanks

Thanks Ralph

Shot ont he HVX200a and 5Dmk2

3. Matt says:

In the video you recommended the Sigma 30mm on APS-C sensor cameras, but I have read a lot of negative comments/reviews in regards to that lens.

I’ve read that the lens has bad vignetting wide-open and really soft corner sharpness regardless of aperture. Though, maybe these negative aspects aren’t as noticeable in video mode.

I am using the 50mm 1.8 on my T2i, but it’s focal length is a bit tight for indoor use and I’m looking for a quality lens in the 30mm range.

i have heard nothing but good things from people who use it…otherwise its the expensive 35mm F1.4 L Canon

4. Matt says:

The Sigma does look great in just about every video I’ve seen so far, so I’ll probably just bite the bullet and get one. The Canon 35mm 1.4 would be great if it weren’t so darn expensive.

Thanks Philip.

5. Jen says:

I really enjoy these video’s, what does anyone think about the Canon 16-35mm/2.8L?

I know someone using it on a 7D for short film that wont shut up about it!

6. Whitney says:

First of all, thanks so much for these videos!!

And now, given what you were saying about kit lenses not being that great, what do you think of the two kit lens options that the GH-2 is offering?
    *The 14-42mm lens (f/3.5-5.6) that comes in the kit for $995.95
    *or the 14-140mm lens (f/4.0-5.8) that comes in the kit for $1499.95)

Would you advise against paying the extra $500 for the 14-140mm kit and just getting the 14-42mm kit and springing for a better large range zoom lens instead? (If so, which lens would you recommend?)

Thanks again! And Happy New Year!

that 14-140mm is awesome, slow though

7. Directordoc says:

Nice site, I’ve come here often but finally felt compelled to comment as I watched this video as every one of those lenses you recommended for DX DSLR’s are in my kit. The Nifty-Fifty is easily one of the best lenses ever made by Canon in my books, I’ve never had a shot ruined by soft corners and CA, vignetting are top of class… for a $100 lens it can’t be beaten.

@Matt – the Sigma 30mm 1.4 is a brilliant lens (value for money, fairly sharp at 1.4, and with the heavy feel you usually only get from L series Canon lenses).

Doc.

8. friendofharvey says:

I’m loving your tutorials. very very useful for a beginner like me making his 1st short . Ta @survivorproject

9. Alex says:

Hi Phillip,

i was having a discussion with a friend of mine who said that i should get all the same name brand lenses in my gear. He said not to mix up lenses because each has a different look. i plan on doing both indifilms and events. Should i get all zoom lenses with the same name brand and all prime lenses with the same name brand? Or does it even matter? Zooms i’ll use for events, and the primes for filmmaking. I’m curious about your opinion on this. Hope to hear from you.

just get what you can and dont worry too much

1. Alex says:

thanks!

10. newsense says:

Really glad I found your site while researching DSLR’s. I have been an aspiring filmmaker for a few years now and and am finally ready to get a decent camera. I plan on getting the Canon T3i or T4i since I am just staring out and still learning(And the budget is tight). Seeing as this video is a few years old now, are there better lens options out now? I have never used a DSLR and am still trying to learn and understand the basics and just want to make sure that I get the right lenses to cover most situations. Thanks for your time.

11. Karan says:

Tokina 11-16 or the Tokina 11-16 dx ii just cant make my mind and no helpful advice yet… Hey Philip!

whats the difference?

1. Karan says:

the new version from the old for canon…!

1. Karan says:

dx and the dx II are two diff lenses that being the difference which would you suggest and Y?