I am down in Key West doing some filming for Kessler Crane, whilst here I am of course doing lots of timelapses. Last night was something called “Independence Day”? No idea what that is about, anyway they had fireworks so I shot a timelapse of it using my 1DmkiV and 14mm Canon F2.8L lens. My 24mm Tilt Shift was doing a motorised timelapse at the same time hence I wanted to create a fake one. So I used Magic Bullet Looks to do and made a short tutorial showing you how I did it.

You can get 20% off Magic Bullet Looks by using the code Bloom20 at checkout at RedGiantSoftware.com

and here is the one I did using the Kessler Crane Revolution head and a real TS lens…

Comments

1. LFK says:

great fx, beautiful shots, awesome timelapses :)
    The only thing magic bullet lacks is a key frame fonction (or maybe I just don’t know where it is and how to use it with premiere cs4).
    And I don’t get what this “independay day” could be neither…lol ;)

2. Awsome work Philip!

3. Wood says:

Amazing!So that’s it,thanks!
    I watch your movies every week,form a habit,like it very much

4. Phil when did you get a 1DMarkIV?

5. Wood says:

Phil,why don’t you use 550D/T2i work now?

6. Nice! I did a similar tutorial video a little while ago for Creative Cow, showing how to create Tilt Shift with CoreMelt filters. It’s a bit different but the end result is similar.

7. Ethan says:

ahahahahah… need to learn a little bit of history eh?
    Independence day was when America became independent from Britian. (so i think)

Why would anyone want independence from us? That makes no sense!!!

8. mark says:

phil,

i never post on your site, just constantly browse it daily. thought its about time to tell you that you rule. lovely timelapse btw.

9. david says:

Very cool effect. It gave us Americans another great opportunity to play with explosives, break out the grill, and drink cold beer

10. Jaap says:

Seriously, don’t schools teach anything about that in England? :shock:

never happened!

11. Richard says:

You should really try out After Effects for editing your timelapses. The 64-bit engine now is so powerful that you can drop in unedited RAW files as a sequence, apply changes to the CR2 files and then add some MBL afterwards.

Works like a charm.

12. Jan Becker says:

Wow, the Kessler Crane time lapse is SICK!
    The combination of tilt-shift, time lapse and crane movement makes an ordinary world look like a sandbox filled with toys.
    Loving it.
    How do you get the movement so smooth? Did you program the Crane? Or did you do it manually?

13. Javier says:

Thanks for the tutorial Philip! BTW the timelapse looks really nice :)
    I don’t know if you can help me with this but may I ask you what computer are you using for editing and how good it is?
    I use an old MacPro (2006) 2 x 2.66Ghz – 8GB of RAM and rendering a 1min 30sec ProRes (1920×1080) timeline takes hours!! Using MB Looks and some other filters. Is it normal or I have to buy a new computer?? Thanks!

14. Simonfilm says:

If Independence day was when America became independent from Britian, when was Mars attacks?

Nice shots!. I will try putting the camera on my Meade ETX90 telescope.

Simon.

1. Simonfilm says:

I mean not connecting (optically) the camera to the telescope, but piggybacking on it and moving with its “motion control”.

Simon.

15. Richard says:

Why are you ignoring my suggestion?

Richard, patience is needed by you. i run the website by myself and comments back up. Each one needs to be approved.

16. Philipp Sokolean says:

I have already QuickTime Player X installed on my computer and it won’t let me install another quicktime player. However, I saw in your tutorial that you have them both running on your computer. Any hints you could give me?

1. Luke says:

You have to use your Install Boot disk and install Quicktime PRO from that when using 10.6