This is big news, for all those people struggling with the 500D/ T1i and it’s 20fps 1080p or 720 30fps with lack of manual control and can’t afford a 7D then this camera is for you. It’s retailing for just $800 body only!
- 1080p: 1920 x 1080 pixels at 30fps (actually 29.97fps)
- 1080p: 1920 x 1080 pixels at 25fps
- 1080p: 1920 x 1080 pixels at 24fps (actually 23.976fps)
- 720p: 1280 x 720 pixels at 60fps (actually 59.94fps)
- 720p: 1280 x 720 pixels at 50fps
- SD: 640 x 480 pixels at 60fps (actually 59.94fps)
- SD: 640 x 480 pixels at 50fps
It also has a 3.5mm microphone jack, but unlikely to have manual controls for that.
It also has a new feature called movie crop which takes the centre of the image, and gives you a digitally zoomed in SD picture so you can get more out of your lenses if you are not worried about losing HD. I can’t see a use for this myself or in a professional situation as it is just a digital zoom but consumers may find this useful.
It shoots up to 6400 ISO too. Interestingly it seems the LCD is slightly higher resolution than the 7D too…
The camera is a massive step up from the previous model and really challenges the 7D, certainly in movie mode. Be very interesting to do a side by side of these cameras! You don’t have a number of features of the 7D, like dual processor, faster still FPS, weatherproofing and many of the top notch still features that the 7D offers but for video users, especially students, hobbyists and people dipping a tentative toe into the HD-DSLR market this looks to be sure bet. The key thing is it has full manual exposure control from the get go. This is from the official press release in the video section… I love the way Canon still calls people who buy this camera all photographers, there needs to be a new word for the hybrid users! “Photographers can also take manual control over exposure settings, changing the depth of field and degree of motion blur to shoot more creatively”
It’s funny to hear people complain about the release of this camera. From 5dmkII owners who are waiting to the firmware (it’s coming!) but more from new 7D owners. Guys/ gals you will be able to afford a B camera so cheaply soon and every pro should have two bodies. Suddenly the idea of a second body for many is much more affordable!
Here are the main features including it’s still capture capabilities:
- 18 Megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor
- DIGIC 4 processor with ISO 100-6400 (Expansion to 12800)
- Continuous shooting at 3.7fps
- Full HD movie recording with manual control and selectable frame rates
- 7.7cm (3.0”) 3:2 Clear View LCD with 1,040k dots
- iFCL metering System with 63-zone Dual-layer Metering Sensor
- Quick Control screen to change shooting settings
- Exposure compensation +/-5 stops.
- Select maximum value for Auto ISO
- External Microphone socket
- Movie crop function