Post NAB, DEER Vegas: First Letus Ultimate short

Apr
2008

Me, Hien (l) and Quyen (r) from Letus

Me and Steven Dempsey on the strip

Shooting Deer  Vegas using the Letus Ultimate and a Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 lens

Shooting Deer Vegas using the Letus Ultimate and a Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 lens

Some lads from England doing a DC/ Marvel crossover!

Some lads from England doing a DC/ Marvel crossover!

“When a girl comes to your room in 20 minutes and she offers full service is that ironing AND turning down the bed?”

Only been back and a few hours and the jet leg is killing me. US Airways must have the smallest coach seats ever. I had to have my legs wide open just so I didn’t give the person in front extra lumbar support!

NAB was great, had a nice time. Met loads of people, the guys from Fresh DV, Brian Valente, Barry Green, Chris Hurd, Nate Weaver, Greg Boston, Tim Dashwood and especially, Nathaniel Hansen, Steven Dempsey, Aaron Pinto, Steve Cahill who bought be a cracking steak dinner and last but not least the Le Brothers from Letus. Annoyingly I missed Dennis Wood from Brevis, i had no idea he was there until it was too late.

I went for some work, a bit of NAB but mostly to sight see and film.

I shot some lovely stuff at Death Valley that I will edit soon, probably my best stuff of the whole week. I also shot at Red Rock Canyon with Hien Le using his prototype Letus Ultimate, we also did a helicopter ride to the Grand Canyon. Not sure how well those chopper shots turned out…and finally some filming in and around Vegas. You can see frame grabs down the bottom of the page

Hien accompanied me that shoot and so did Steve Cahill who took some great photos. Please visit his very cool blog about it here

Thanks to Steve Cahill for the great photos.

Here is the short “Deer Vegas”, a sort of sequel to “Piccadilly Furs”.

The music is by Goldfrapp from her 2000 album “Felt Mountain”. The track is” Deer Stop”

Comments

1. Rob says:

Once again, very nice Phil! The Ultimate looks also promising!
    I wish you could tell us a little bit more about the Ultimate versus the Extreme.
    I am really thinking into buying this adapter when it becomes available for all it different features.
    Have you stopped it down past f/5.6? Any grain? Have you noticed any perticular differences betwen the two?
    Thanks again Phil!!!

2. Steve Cahill says:

Check out my review, not complete till I get my hand on the device
    @ http://web.mac.com/stevecahill/Steve_Cahills_Blog/Blog/Blog.html

Two installments there.

regards
    Steve

3. Philip says:

great blog steve. not enough photos of me though!

4. Nathaniel Hansen says:

Loved the short…that opening shot is amazing – two icons of downtown. The shots from the parking garage turned out – glad to see that. Can’t wait to see your Death Valley footage.

5. Travis Bartoshek says:

I see you use bigger zooms on the letus(I.E. the 80-200), do you have problems with losing alignment while zooming or moving around? does the longer lens length make it easier for the setup to get out of alignment? do you worry about breaking the mount.

6. Shiv Kumar says:

Phil,
    Those frame grabs are absolutely stunning! Can’t wait to see the video.

7. Travis Bartoshek says:

one more thing, Is the ultimate worth 3x the Xtrm? Nice work all around by the way.

8. marz says:

Hi Phil!
    An ironic portrait of Las Vegas’s people. The yawning girl is fantastic!

9. John says:

Yes indeed, could you tell us a little more about your experience Ultimate vs Extreme!

10. Philip says:

The Nikon mount is rock solid but it is worth have an extra lens support for longer lenses.

Shiv, as soon as I can I will do the next edit!

Travis..probably, but I don’t know how much goes into making it. From what I understand it is ten times harder to make than the Extreme. It really is so much better. Full flexibility, being able to stop down to f22 for wide DOF if needed and being able to use as much shutter pretty much as you need!

11. Anonymous says:

oh my, the first shot…perfect!!!

12. Steve says:

I like your videos sometimes but your color correction is just atrocious at times…

It is hard for me to judge the picture quality because you cover it up so much.

13. Philip says:

Steve, glad you like my videos “sometimes”, but sorry you find my colour grading atrocious. It isn’t colour correction, that is fixing, I went for a very strong 70s/80s look for this. If it’s not your thing then so be it!

Phil

14. Anonymous says:

Philip, did you have a permit to film on the strip? Especially using sticks…. I am curious because I will be in Vegas for a week at the end of the month and would love to take the EX1 for sure and am wondering if I should even deal with the hassle of the sticks…Were you bothered at all or asked to pack up and move on?

15. Joe Wentrup says:

Philip, amazing stuff, like always. But is it only me that EX1 footage sometimes looks overexposed? Not only your’s but many examples I´ve seen. I know, it´s not really overexposed, the highlights didn´t burn out but all the colours and the dynamic range on the EX1 to my eyes seems to be shifted slightly into the bright areas.

But what I really wanted to know: No problem at all stopping down the lens with the Ultimate? That would be great! Adapters until now abused a bit of shallow DOF IMO.

16. Matt says:

Great stuff Philip I am really excited about the Sony Ex3 and the Letus Ultimate setup. But what about those sticks are they the miller solo DV sticks what head do you have on them?